What is TRIP? TRIP, or Tuition Reduction Incentive Program, is a program in which families purchase gift certificates through Holland Christian Schools to shop at major food and retail stores. The stores sell the certificates at a discount. The school then sells the certificates at face value to participating families and credits their tuition account with the difference. The percentage of credit earned will vary from store to store; please click here for a detailed list of participating retailers. Anyone in the community can participate, including HC families, future HC families, grandparents, friends, etc., and designate their TRIP earnings to the account of a presently enrolled family, a future family, or to Holland Christian’s Tuition Grant Fund.
There is no cost to participate, but Holland Christian retains a small percentage of the credits to cover the operational expenses of the TRIP program. The gift cards supplied by TRIP are the stores’ actual gift cards. They are the same as cash; you can buy anything in the store that you would normally buy with cash, check, or credit card. Kohls will even allow you to use the gift cards to make payments on charge accounts.
If you move to one of the other Lakeshore Area Christian Schools (Zeeland Christian, Grand Haven Christian, South Olive Christian), Holland Christian will transfer your credit to their TRIP program.
TRIP uses volunteers to run this program. If you can volunteer a few hours a month to the program, we would appreciate your time.
Scroll down to learn more about how you can participate in TRIP, and all the way to the bottom to access any TRIP forms.
/ Join TRIP
It’s easy to get started with TRIP! You start by signing up online with ShopWithScrip.com; you will need our school enrollment code, which we are not allowed to publish online, but which you can obtain by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our TRIP BASIC 101 Brochure is very helpful in walking you through this process if you need help.
You can turn in your order (blue form) to the TRIP mailbox at the school of your choice any time, or you can physically place an order on a Wednesday morning when TRIP is scheduled, or you can order your gift cards online by 9:00 am Wednesday morning, and your gift cards will be available for pick up the following Wednesday. When you pick up your gift cards, the envelope that they are delivered in will include the gift cards that you purchased, your purchase receipt, and an order form for you to use the next time you place an order, besides the weekly TRIP Clip newsletter which includes temporary bonus percentages. A limited number of the most popular gift cards are available on a first-come, first-serve basis for immediate purchase on Wednesday mornings. There is a separate Instant TRIP green order form for this which is available on Wednesday mornings at the TRIP tables at Rose Park Elementary and HCHS.
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact either Kristi Lokker or Mary Wynia at the contact info below–they are very helpful at walking you through the process!
Kristi Lokker: 616.886.8678 or Mary Wynia: 616.834.3802
TRIP Office (Wednesdays only) 616.820.4070 or email@example.com
/ TRIP Schedule
Instant TRIP and TRIP pick-up/drop off is on Wednesday mornings, from 7:30-9:00 am, at the Rose Park and High School entrances, with seated smiling helpers there to help you. You can drop off any TRIP orders at the offices in the Middle School, at Pine Ridge, and at South Side until 9:00 am, though on Wednesdays only. You must drop off and pick up your order at the school designated on your ShopWithScrip account. Orders that are not picked up will be held at the HCS administration office for south side people, and at Rose Park’s office for those of you who live on Holland’s north side.
Periodically businesses will offer temporary additional percentages in the rebates; you will be updated on these details through the weekly TRIP Clip newsletter which we email to you when you are registered with Holland Christian TRIP, or through our Holland Christian TRIP Facebook page.
/ TRIP Policies
- The TRIP program is run weekly, except on scheduled school holidays. TRIP will run every other week during the summer.
- Did you know that family or friends may help you with your tuition reduction by ordering certificates on your order form with your tuition number, or may participate in the program by registering and receiving their own number and directing their credit to your tuition account, the tuition account of any participating family or church, or the HCS Tuition Grant Fund? Parents looking to the future and planning for the Christian education of their children at Holland Christian Schools can also participate. These families will be assigned a tuition number and the credits earned will be held by Holland Christian Schools and credited toward their tuition when their child is enrolled in kindergarten. You may move your credit to another Lakeshore Area Christian School if you move out of the Holland Christian area.
- All certificate orders must be accompanied by checks made payable to HCS TRIP. These checks are not tax deductible because participants receive dollar for dollar value. Also anyone writing a non-sufficient funds check will incur a fee of $20.00 to be paid to TRIP. Please note that TRIP checks are cashed immediately so the order for the certificates can be placed the same day.
- The percentage earned on each participating family’s account will be held by the TRIP program and credited to your tuition account, which you can check online through ShopWithScrip at any time. If you are not signed up online, you may request a TRIP credit statement, and we will print one for you. Each week the order envelope you receive will list the dollar amount you earned that week.
- Order Pick Up
- Parent Pick Up: Filled orders are available from the TRIP tables on Wednesdays. A friend or relative may also pick up your certificates provided they sign a form available at the time of pick up.
- Student Take Home: If you want your child to be able to take home your orders, you must sign a Disclaimer of Responsibility form before the gift cards will be released to your child from their school’s office or classroom teacher. Please sign the disclaimer if you think you will ever use it, as if you sign the disclaimer, you will still have the option to pick up your order yourself. If you or your students cannot get to their school’s office before 9 am on Wednesdays, then all orders from HCS schools on Holland’s south side are available for pick up at the HCS administration office after 9 am on Wednesdays. Rose Park orders can be picked up at the Rose Park office after 9 am on Wednesdays as well.
- Neither Holland Christian, nor the TRIP committee, is responsible for failure of participating businesses to fulfill contractual obligations or for changing their policy without notice. It is the responsibility of TRIP participants to clarify with individual merchants such matters as individual store decisions on giving change, use of certificates, etc. prior to making a purchase at the store.
- The certificates are the same as cash. Neither Holland Christian Schools nor TRIP accept responsibility for lost, stolen, damaged, or misplaced certificates.