RP Newsletter – August 23, 2019
Dear Rose Park Family and Friends,
We did it, parents! Week one is in the books! What a joy it is to see children finding a home away from home here at Rose Park. Students are nestling into their classroom communities even as they are finding their way into the pockets of Teacher’s heart. The teacher/student relationship is built on trust, honesty, laughter and love! The trust and love are just beginning. God has many adventures in store for us this year. Thank you for entrusting us with loving your child and growing their hearts to Jesus.
Our Safe Mornings At Rose Park
Please know that West Ottawa begins busing next Tuesday, August 27. This means we will have more bus traffic and presumably less cars in the parking lot at drop off and pick up times. In light of resumed busing, and student-safe practices at Rose Park, please observe the following:
- All cars use the east drive only, coming in off from Butternut, and using the entrance to the parking lot closest to the strip mall next door, and exiting using the drive closest to Rose Park. We have designed traffic flow to be one-way only in this fashion.
- Buses only are allowed to use the west drive. Again, no cars should use the west drive before and after school. If you are dropping off a middle or high schooler for the morning shuttle, please park and wait in the parking lot, or simply drop them off in the drive to wait for the bus.
- Before School Care begins at 7:15 every morning.
- Students riding the middle school/high school shuttle may catch the bus at 7:30. For the safety of these students, particularly on dark mornings, please park only in the large parking lot. Please do not park in the circle drive for catching the shuttle. Driving through the circle drive while students are crossing the drive is unsafe for our children.
- The front doors of Rose Park will unlock at 7:50. Prior to that time, our teachers are arriving and prepping the learning experiences they will bring to students all day. This time is important for them to be well-prepared. At 7:50 we will be happy to begin supervising early arrivers on the playground!
- At 8:10 the bell rings to come inside and start our day together!
- At 8:15 it’s “go time” in the K-6 classrooms. Preschool doors will open to receive our little ones in our rooms.
- Preschool officially begins every day at 8:30.
A few after school carpool reminders:
- When your car is in the loading zone area – please turn on your hazard lights UNTIL you have all the children in your carpool, then turn lights off.
- If your child does not see you or has not come to your car, feel free to ask staff on duty to help your riders find their way to your car. Please stay inside of your car.
- Do not allow your children to come to your car if you are not yet in the loading area.
- Please use the carpool plan whenever possible. If you must come and get your children from the sidewalk, please park in the designated parking spots and walk in front of the loading zone area, not between cars that are waiting in the carpool lanes.
- For a more complete explanation of our carpool, parking lot, and driveway instructions, please click and read this document.
Whether you are new or experienced at Rose Park, for your convenience, here is a link to our Elementary Handbook found on the HC website. Please refer to the handbook for general information, or with specific questions you may have about life at Rose Park.
Please report to us if your child(ren) is going to be absent. This needs to be done each day they will not be in school. Also, we would appreciate it if they were reported in by 8:45 AM, but you can call and leave a message anytime before that time. If you do not call us, and if the child’s teacher does not know about the absence, we will try to call you. (This policy is to protect your child–we want to ensure your child’s safe arrival at school
HCS Back-to-School 2019 Convocation
For all Preschool-12th grade students and all who are part of the HCS community: Wednesday, August 28, 9AM, HCHS Gymnasium is the time and place for this year’s Convocation gathering. You are invited along with the entire Holland Christian Schools community to our annual Convocation Ceremony to kick-off our 2018-2019 school year. Whether you are a parent, grandparent, alumnus, friend, or supporter, we would love to welcome you along with all of our Preschool-12 grade students in a time of celebration, prayer, praise, and listening to God’s Word at the beginning of this new year. Various Holland Christian students, staff, and community members will lead in song, prayer, and devotion. Come and join us Wednesday, August 28, 9AM in the high school gym for this very special convocation service. You will be blessed!
We hope you have treasured the note written to your child from last year’s teacher and tucked inside the special HC baton. It’s not too late to write your own note to your child, or ask a close family friend, leader, or mentor to write their encouragement to your child about what they see as God’s gifts in your student at this point in their growing. We ask that each baton be returned to school in time for our convocation on Wednesday, August 28. Please keep in mind we need to have them here at school by Wednesday, August 28.
Hot Lunch Accounts
There are two ways to add funds to your child’s hot lunch account:
- You may drop off a check made out to Holland Christian to our Rose Park office and the funds will be added.
- Add funds on line through sendmoneytoschool.com (there is a small fee with this method)
You may also check the balance on your student’s lunch account:
- go to www.hollandchristian.org
- click on Schools, then Parent Resources.
- Click on the Hot Lunch Tab.
- On the right hand side is the link: sendmoneytoschool.com
- Set up a new account for your family. You will need your email address, and a password you would like to use.
- Your student’s ID number will be needed to link your child to your account. Please contact either our RP office for this number, or ask your child’s teacher.
- Please contact Carla or Diane in the RP office with any questions!
Hot Lunch Menu
Important To Do Today
It is imperative that you update your demographic information in PowerSchool now with your latest and most accurate contact information. Simply go in your browser to ps.hollandchristian.org, and, if you are a returning parent, log in with your personal log in and password. If you have difficulty, click the “If you are having trouble…” link to retrieve your log in information.
If you are a first-time parent, you should have received already an email with your student’s unique access ID and password. Then, create a login for yourself. Click the “demographic change” button on the left of the screen. This information is necessary for field trip participation, emergency response and treatment, student photo permission, and for the office to easily be able to contact a parent or guardian as needed or desired. When listing your child’s emergency contacts, please be sure to list two contacts other than yourself. Again, please do this today to ensure that your child’s teacher has the most accurate contact information for you. The teachers do a lot of communicating with parents especially at the start of the year, and we want to make sure that you receive all of this communication. Thank you!
Medical Information Reminder
Parents: if your child has a medical plan on file or takes meds at school, we need an updated form signed by their physician each school year. So, if you have not done this yet, please do so asap. You are welcome to contact our school nurse, Hendrina Cupery (email@example.com). She will help you set up a plan for the office to assist in administering the medication. For safety reasons, Holland Christian Schools is not able to dispense any medication (prescription or non-prescription) to our students without a doctor’s order. Thank you!
Holland Christian Student Information Policy
Holland Christian Schools acquires student information, including photographs and videos, at school events during the year. Read the school’s Student Information Policy here. By enrolling your student at Holland Christian Schools, you consent to the use of and reproduction by Holland Christian Schools of this information in school publications. If you do not want your student’s information to be used, you may complete an opt-out form at the Administration Office.
Our elementary counselor, Mrs. DeeDee Throop is here every Tuesday and mornings on Friday to assist with any personal or social situations that might arise with our students. She has 15 years of teaching experience and is starting her 18th year as a counselor. She loves our children and thinks of herself as a “cheerleader” for them. If you have questions or concerns about your child, please call, email, or drop in on a Tuesday or Thursday to see her. God bless you as you parent your precious children. firstname.lastname@example.org
We would love to have you join us for our All School chapels on Wednesday mornings at 10:35 AM in the elementary gym. We welcome parents and friends to join us in worship as we discover how we can grow in cultivating shalom.
For those of you really planning ahead, Rose Park’s picture days are Wednesday, September 18, and Thursday, September 19. More specific information and scheduling will come once we are underway through classroom and the Rose Park blogs.
Our fall season of Total Trek Quest (TTQ) is around the corner! Register your son HERE – https://www.raceplanner.com/register/index/TTQAOFall2019
Become a TTQ coach this upcoming season and help us recruit coaches within your community!
Great Reasons to Coach:
- Engage in healthy choices with your child/youth in your community
- Be part of a co-coaching partnership (2 coaches with 5-15 boys)
- A team of TTQ staff to support you throughout the season
- Run, Inspire, Challenge, Assist the TTQ boys in achieving their goals
- Season dates: Sept 9- Nov 9th (18 practices, and a final 5k event)
- Practices held 2 days per week for 90 minutes; practices start at the end of the school day, so time varies by school (can coach one day/week)
- Coaches can be any gender
- You do not need to be an experienced runner – just willing to be active and participate in physical activity during practices
- All materials and supplies are provided to you along with a thorough coach training
For more information or to become a coach, contact Kimber Wager at email@example.com or 231-670-9853
28 – All School Convocation at the high school 9:00AM
13- Homecoming Event
18 – Picture Day
19 – Picture Day
21 – Kids Stuff Resale
25 – Walkathon
27 – No School – Staff Development
3 – Grandparents’ day
22 – Parent/Teacher Conferences
24 – CEA – No School
25 – CEA- No School
1 – Preschool Dad’s night
27- 1/2 day
28-29 – Thanksgiving Break
KIDS STUFF RESALE
The Kids Stuff Resale will be on Saturday morning, September 21 from 9-12 at Holland Christian High School. For more information, please email kidsale@ hollandchristian.org or call 616 820-2805.