South Side September 2021 Newsletter
7 “But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord,
whose confidence is in him.
8 They will be like a tree planted by the water
that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes;
its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought
and never fails to bear fruit.”
This year’s theme is found in Jeremiah. It talks about how we are like trees planted by a stream that do not need to worry about drought and that even when tough times come that we will still bear spiritual fruit. In Galatians 5, we are reminded of what spiritual fruit is: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.
This week we have truly experienced being “rooted” together at South Side as a community and it has been so evident in the spiritual fruit that we have experienced.
- Love/Kindness/Goodness: I have watched each student come into the building surrounded by loving family who are entrusting their most treasured possession to us each day and we do not take that responsibility lightly. Then, as they walk into the door and head to their classroom, they are greeted by teachers and support staff who love them dearly and spend the day with them helping them discover their unique gifts and individual personalities assigned to them by our Creator. Finally, your children love their classmates as they invite new friends to play and are quick to rush to their side when there is a small tear or someone needs help.
- Joy: The building has been filled with joy and laughter. It is a true blessing to see their faces each day with huge smiles as they enter the building, play outside, discover something new….
- Peace: As the world around us continues to bring challenges that come our way that require us to instantly change plans, I have watched teachers and students handle things with a steadfast peace and calmness.
- Patience/Gentleness: Parents, we are grateful for your patience, flexibility and grace for us as we have had to make changes to our school schedule with very little notice due to the extreme heat conditions.
- Faithfulness: Upon hearing that we were going to have to close school for some afternoons due to extreme heat conditions in our classrooms, there were donors who graciously and faithfully extended funding to us to be able to get AC units into the majority of our classrooms. God continues to use His people as His hands and feet.
It has been a wonderful week of building relationships and learning together. We are excited to continue to partner with you and your child as we walk this journey together.
South Side Elementary Principal
As you may notice, we have only one door, the main front door, open for parents and guests. For safety purposes, we want to have just one entrance where we can monitor all visitors coming into the building. Please know that this has nothing to do with COVID, but rather is a safety measure so we do not have any unknown adults in our children’s learning spaces.
- Kindergarten-2nd Grade
- As a reminder, we will be asking parents to celebrate with us their child’s independence of being dropped off in the carpool lane, or perhaps being walked up to the front door and then entering the building on their own and head to their classrooms on their own. If for some reason you need to come into the school building, please head to the office first and sign in and get a visitor name tag before heading to your child’s classroom.
- It has been such a joy for me to watch our smallest learners enjoying school each day. Thank you for your willingness to walk your child into their classrooms to get them checked in each morning.
Health Appraisal and Immunization Requirements
Reminder: Health appraisals are required for our 2021-22 incoming preschool and kindergarten students. As you schedule your well child appointments with your health care provider, please be aware these evaluations will need to be completed. We need a completed Health Appraisal form on file for each student by September 30. You will receive an email if we are still missing any forms. We are grateful for your help with this!
K-2nd Grade Wednesday Volunteers Needed
We have service opportunities available and we are in great need of parents to help monitor the playground, lunch, and lunch recess. Some of you may have already signed up with your child’s teacher to help with lunch. If you did, they will share that information with me so you do not need to sign up again. If you’re interested complete the Volunteer Signup Form. All parent volunteers will need to complete a background check through our HR Department which will be set up for you prior to helping at school. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact the office for proper forms. Thank you in advance as we look forward to having you back in our building!
NWEA MAP Assessments
During the week of September 7-24 students will take the MAP assessment, which help us see where each child is and how they are growing throughout the year. If possible, please try to not schedule appointments for your child during this time. Also, encourage them to get a good night’s sleep.
Walkathon fundraiser packets came home today. Check out the pages in the envelope to see some of the fun prizes being offered this year for those who hand in donations. All students will participate in the Walkathon regardless of funds raised. Packets are due back on Friday, September 10 to your child’s teacher (the orange page that’s in the packet has the incorrect date).
South Side’s picture days are Wednesday, September 22 and Thursday, September 23 (only reserved for 3’s T/TH Preschool class). Once order forms are received from GPI they will be sent home with students. They are student-specific, so if you have multiple children at HC, be sure to send the correct form with each child. If you are ordering a yearbook this is the time to do that also.
Good News From Food Services
Breakfast will be offered as students enter the building each morning to take to their class. Students must choose a fruit along with 1 other choice—we encourage our students to take 3 items. The FREE breakfast menu choices are:
- Fresh, canned fruit options and or 100% juice,
- Low sugar cereal bowls or muffins
- Yogurt, cheese choices, or boiled eggs
- 1% white milk
Preschool students will be offered breakfast in their classroom when they arrive and, as before, lunch will be FREE. We will continue the grab-and-go options for students who have a ½ day as well as for siblings.
Lunch will be free as well with all the favorite options as before! To see all food service options for all our schools see the back to school food service options flyer
Lunch Menu for September is here on The Hot Lunch Page.
Safety Policy Updates
For updated COVID information please see our Return to School page
- COVID-19 vaccines will not be required for your child to attend school this fall.
- COVID-19 testing for participation in school athletics will no longer be required.
- Our student bodies can begin to gather together in large groups again! Think: chapel, assemblies, convocation, and more.
- We will continue to contact trace (providing information only, no quarantines required) and notify close-contacts of their exposure to positive COVID-19 cases at school.
- We are following the Ottawa County Health Department Flowchart for Symptomatic Individuals in reference to attendance at school. If your child exhibits symptoms on the flowchart, you will receive a call from school with further instructions.
We acknowledge that there are individuals who may have health concerns that make them more susceptible to COVID-19 and are at higher risk. We support your personal decisions to protect yourself and your family and will continue to do our best as a school system to prioritize the health of all students, families, and staff.
Medications at School
If your child needs to take medication at school, we need an updated form signed by their physician each school year. If you have not done this yet, please do so asap. You are welcome to contact our school nurse, Hendrina Cupery at firstname.lastname@example.org. She will help you set up a plan for the office to assist in administering the medication. For safety reasons, Holland Christian Schools is not able to dispense any medication (prescription or non-prescription) to our students without a doctor’s order. Thank you!
September 17 there will be no PM busing for students using Holland Public School buses. See the Important Website Links section below for more information for the Transportation webpage.
Homecoming is FREE to all immediate family members of preschool and kindergarten students! Join us for fun inflatables/bounce houses, a hot dog dinner and of course, the big game! It will be held on Friday, September 17. Gates open at 5 PM. To help us estimate the number of meals needed, sign up on the Preschool & Kindergarten Homecoming Sign Up Form by September 9. The cost for those families not in preschool or kindergarten is $8 per person in advance, including both dinner and game, or it’s $10 per person at the gate. We’re looking forward to seeing you all!
Kids’ Stuff Resale
Our very popular fall Kids’ Stuff Resale is Saturday, September 25, 2021, from 9 am-noon at HCHS’ Main Street. Kind of like a movable ditto store with fall-focused clothing for kids of all ages–from babies up through size 18–along with assorted baby and sports paraphernalia, the Kids’ Stuff Resale benefits not only you, but our Tuition Grant Fund as well! Plus there’s maternity clothes, Halloween costumes, toys, games–everything at ditto minus the furniture! Our sellers’ list is full, but we have lots of room for customers! The $1 entry fee for adults and a portion of the proceeds go directly to the Tuition Grant Fund that helps students of all incomes attend HC. Got questions? Contact Michelle Schaap at email@example.com.
Important Website Links
- School Calendar
- Lunch Menu
- Medical Information & Forms
- School Transportation
- Before & After School Programs
Grandparents Day April 21, 2022
Our Grandparents Day celebration date will be moved this year and combined with our annual Spring Program. Please mark your calendars for Grandparents Day and Spring Program to take place on the evening of Thursday, April 21, 2022.
/ Requested announcements
TRIP has resumed their weekly schedule for pickup at the HCHS main entrance on Ottawa Avenue. If you have questions, contact the TRIP office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Moms in Prayer
Moms in Prayer is a great way to connect with other moms, pray for your child, and have an impact on our school. Please join us on Fridays starting September 10 at Providence Church 8:20-9:20 am. Contact Nicole Shook with questions: email@example.com
Pull for the Bus Trap Shoot & BBQ Fundraiser
Join us on September 25 at the Hamilton Rod and Gun Club for an afternoon of clays, BBQ and auction! Shooting goes from 2 pm-5 pm. Bring your family for hog roast dinner and auction at 5 pm. There is more info and registration on the Southside Bus Transportation Website. We’re raising funds for Southside Bus Transportation, which is a parent-led, non-profit that helps HC families unable to use West Ottawa or Holland Public busing to offset their busing costs.
- 3 – No school
- 6 – Labor Day (no school)
- 7 – School resumes
- 10 – Walkathon funds due
- 15 – Walkathon
- 17 – Homecoming
- 22 – School pictures SS
- 23 – School pictures PR & (SS 3’s T/TH class)
- 25 – Kids’ Stuff Resale
- 15 – Report Cards Home
- 18-19 – Parent/Teacher Conferences
- 21-22 – No School: CEA Convention