Rose Park News 9/7/18
Dear Rose Park Family and Friends,
I am really looking forward to Monday evening when we again have the opportunity to meet together for a meal and fellowship with new families to Rose Park, along with those asked and willing to walk alongside of these new families as mentors. Members of our parent board, plan and host this event for us, and I am so thankful for Jordan Kleinheksel’s leadership making this event such a success. This is just one intentional way in which we welcome new families to Rose Park, Kindergarten through 6th grade. We even welcomed a new student to 3rd grade this week, and will add a new Kindergartner on Monday. In all, we have 22 new students, K-6, at Rose Park this year. That is so exciting! Please keep your eyes open and be ready to extend a warm welcome to any of these new families you may meet in the hallways and events at Rose Park this year. You will be preparing a table ! Welcome, one and all!
As always, I pray that you may bless and be blessed this weekend with your families in rest, recreation, and in awe-filled worship. We are grateful to partner with you in equipping young and eager minds, nurturing soft and tender hearts, to transform the world for our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. It’s been a great first week, and we look forward to seeing your children again next week to love them and learn along with them.
Busing and Carpool Reminders
- All cars use the east drive only, coming in off from Butternut, and using the entrance to the parking lot closest to the strip mall next door, and exiting using the drive closest to Rose Park. We have designed traffic flow to be one-way only in this fashion.
- Buses only are allowed to use the west drive. Again, no cars should use the west drive before and after school. If you are dropping off a middle or high schooler for the morning shuttle, please park and wait in the parking lot, or simply drop them off in the drive to wait for the bus.
A few after school carpool reminders:
- When your car is in the loading zone area – please turn on your hazard lights UNTIL you have all the children in your carpool, then turn lights off.
- If your child does not see you or has not come to your car, feel free to ask staff on duty to help your riders find their way to your car.
- Please stay inside of your car.
- Do not allow your children to come to your car if you are not yet in the loading area.
- Please use the carpool plan whenever possible. If you must come and get your children from the sidewalk, please park in the designated parking spots and walk in front of the loading zone area, not between cars that are waiting in the carpool lanes.
- For a more complete explanation of our carpool, parking lot, and driveway instructions, please click and read this document.
Join us at the Walk-A-Thon Wednesday, September 26 at the high school track. Students will be walking, running, skipping for 45 min in an effort to raise funds for non-budgeted classroom and playground improvements. Fundraising packets for the walk-a-thon have been sent home. Completed pledge forms and money are due Friday, September 14. Thanks so much for your support. We hope to see you at the track!
Tuition Invoices Update
Tuition invoices will be arriving in your mailbox mid to late September for the 2018-2019 school year. If you expect to see an invoice and have not received one by October 5 please let our office know by calling 616-820-2805 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please report to us if your child(ren) is going to be absent. This needs to be done each day they will not be in school. Also, we would appreciate it if they were reported in by 8:45 AM, but you can call and leave a message anytime before that time. If you do not call us, and if the child’s teacher does not know about the absence, we will try to call you. (This policy is to protect your child–we want to ensure your child’s safe arrival at school
Hot Lunch Accounts
There are two ways to add funds to your child’s hot lunch account:
- You may drop off a check made out to Holland Christian to our Rose Park office and the funds will be added.
- Add funds on line through sendmoneytoschool.com (there is a small fee with this method)
You may also check the balance on your student’s lunch account:
- go to www.hollandchristian.org
- click on Schools, then Parent Resources.
- Click on the Hot Lunch Tab.
- On the right hand side is the link: sendmoneytoschool.com
- Set up a new account for your family. You will need your email address, and a password you would like to use.
- Your student’s ID number will be needed to link your child to your account. Please contact either our RP office for this number, or ask your child’s teacher.
- Please contact Carla or Diane in the RP office with any questions!
Hot Lunch Menu
Medical Information Reminder
Parents: if your child has a medical plan on file or takes meds at school, we need an updated form signed by their physician each school year. So, if you have not done this yet, please do so asap. You are welcome to contact our school nurse, Jane Borr (email@example.com). She will help you set up a plan for the office to assist in administering the medication. For safety reasons, Holland Christian Schools is not able to dispense any medication (prescription or non-prescription) to our students without a doctor’s order. Thank you!
Parents and Grandparents
Do you or someone you know have an interesting hobby, specialized knowledge, or creative idea to share with elementary students? Holland Christian is looking to match you with interested students in our After school Community Enrichment program. Please share your ideas for teaching an ACE class with our coordinator, Sue Vos (firstname.lastname@example.org).
4th Annual HCS Homecoming Family Weekend
Friday, September 14
Holland Christian High School
This evening has become a family favorite, filled with good memories—even when it downpours! Picnic dinner and children’s activities, including bouncy houses, lawn games, and crafts, start at 5 pm, then the varsity football game against Byron Center begins at 7. The cost is $8 per person in advance, including both dinner and game, and tickets are available online at www.hollandchristian.org/alumni or at the HCHS or HCS administration offices. Or it’s $10 per person on the day of the event. Looking forward to hanging out!
Early Childhood Tailgate
Special note for preschool & kindergarten parents: Save the date but don’t buy your tickets yet for this event. This night is our treat to you! More information will be distributed by your classroom teacher.
FOREST SCHOOL GROUNDBREAKING – September 17, 6:30 pm
With much gratitude we would like to invite you to our Forest School Groundbreaking ceremony on Monday, September 17, at 6:30 pm. Please join us by the entrance to the woods between Holland Christian Middle and High School where the Forest School Kindergarten meets each day. We will pray for God’s blessing and protection on their school year and on Holland Christian’s newest classroom building! No RSVP necessary. If you have any questions, please contact us at (616) 820-2805.
SCREENAGERS – September 25, 7 pm
Holland Christian and Zeeland Christian School are partnering together for a showing of the film SCREENAGERS on September 25 at 7 pm in the HCHS Auditorium. Are you watching kids scroll through life, with their rapid-fire thumbs and a six-second attention span? Physician and filmmaker Delaney Ruston saw that with her own kids and learned that the average kid spends 6.5 hours a day looking at screens. She wondered about the impact of all this time and about the friction occurring in homes and schools around negotiating screen time—friction she knew all too well. In SCREENAGERS, as with her award-winning documentaries on mental health, Delaney takes a deeply personal approach as she probes into the vulnerable corners of family life, including her own, to explore struggles over social media, video games, academics and internet addiction. Through poignant, and unexpectedly funny stories, along with surprising insights from authors, psychologists, and brain scientists, SCREENAGERS reveals how tech time impacts kids’ development and offers solutions on how adults can empower kids to best navigate the digital world and find balance. Please join us for this important event! We especially encourage parents with children in 5th-12th grade to attend this event. Check out the trailer here: https://vimeo.com/215750 447
Holland Christian Auction October 13
Total Trek Quest (TTQ) for 3rd-5th Grade Boys
Currently, we have no one signed up for Total Trek Quest this fall. TTQ is a fun, high energy program designed exclusively for boys in 3rd-5th grade! TTQ incorporates strength and stretching exercises with training for a 5K. Boys in this program will develop positive peer relationships and feel a part of a team while working toward individual goals. Additional practice activities focus on developing a healthy lifestyle, social/relationship skills, how to make healthy decisions, and being proud of who they are.
* Practices last for 90 minutes immediately after school . Program includes the kick-off event, 18 practices, and the final event.
* Included during practices: a healthy snack, games, strength and stretching exercises, and running. Please send water bottles and athletic clothes that are weather appropriate!
* Final Event will be on November 10. Registration for TTQ boys is included in the program. Parents and friends are encouraged to participate.
* Total Trek Quest is coached by adults who have completed program training, CPR/First Aid certification, central registry clearance and background checks. Coaches are always needed, please consider being a coach!
* If school is cancelled for any reason, TTQ will also be cancelled that day.
For more information or questions contact Brandon Melnyk at 616-450-4651 or email@example.com
Cost is $45.00, but scholarships are available. Late registration may also be accepted. Allegan/Ottawa: https://www.raceplanner.com/re gister/index/TTQFall2018AO
TTQ Coaches Needed
Do you enjoy being outdoors and running with 3rd-5th grade boys while instilling into them good practices and behaviors for their health and physical activity? Then becoming a TTQ coach may be just the thing for you. Coaches are needed for Rose Park boys in 3rd-5th grades; we have no students or coaches currently signed up. For more information or if you have questions contact Brandon Melnyk at 616-450-4651 or firstname.lastname@example.org
We would love to have you join us for our All School chapels on Wednesday mornings at 10:35 AM in the elementary gym. We welcome parents and friends to join us in worship as we discover how we can grow in cultivating shalom.
For those of you really planning ahead, Rose Park’s picture days are Wednesday, September 19, and Thursday, September 20. More specific information and scheduling will come once we are underway through classroom and the Rose Park blogs.
14- Homecoming Event
17 – Forest School Groundbreaking 6:30PM
19 – Picture Day
20 – Picture Day
22 – Kids Stuff Resale
25- Screenagers at HCHS 7:00PM
26 – Walkathon at HCHS track
28 – No School – Staff Development
4 – Grandparents’ day
13 – Holland Christian Auction
23 – Parent/Teacher Conferences
25 – CEA – No School
26 – CEA- No School
1 – Preschool Dad’s night
2 – 5/6th grade Donuts with Dads
21 – 1/2 day
22 – 23 – Thanksgiving Break
Moms In Prayer
MOMS IN PRAYER BEGINS NEXT FRIDAY, 9/14- All Moms are welcome to the lift up their kid(s) in prayer in the library from 8:15-9:05. Join us as we give our Father Praise, Confession,Thanks and Petition.
When hard pressed, I pray that ________ will cry to You, LORD and not be afraid.
From Psalm 118:5-6 (NIV)
Please contact Kathy Schut with any questions. 616-875-8912,
KIDS STUFF RESALE
The Kids Stuff Resale will be on Saturday morning, September 22 from 9-12 at Holland Christian High School. For more information, please email kidsale@ hollandchristian.org or call 616 820-2805.
Golf Lessons are now available for students ages 7-17 in Holland through The First Tee, a non-profit that teaches golf and values to ANY child regardless of family income. Sign up HERE for sessions at Macatawa Legends or Winding Creek. Classes begin August 27 or September 7 so register soon!