Rose Park News 8/29/19
Dear Rose Park Family and Friends,
I know that you already know this, but your children are absolutely SWEET and just THE BEST to live life with! On Monday morning during recess the kids and I were walking and talking about how hard our teachers and staff have already been working to prepare our learning experiences and amazing spaces for us every day. One of the kids suggested the students all wash the feet of their teachers. Well…we thought…how about if, instead, we wash another mode of transportation rather than feet. Their cars! So thank you for keeping this special secret! The children had a wonderful time blessing our teachers and staff with a sparkling, clean car! And a special shout out to Quality Car Wash who provided free ULTIMATE car wash passes just in case we missed a spot or two…or in case we left a spot or two 😉 THANK YOU for helping us, Quality Car Wash!
After we put our buckets away and went back to our classrooms, we reflected on how often this happens in life. Through our actions, we can share the story of love and care for others. Many times, the story we tell can inspire others to offer the same with the gifts and abilities they have to offer. In this way, our story and our actions become a living testimony. We pray you and your family enjoy one more taste of summertime together this weekend! Make fun memories, enjoy one another, enjoy God and practice being a testimony who points every day to the story authored by our Heavenly Father.
Please take a peek in your child’s backpack! Our walk a thon information and packet was taken home today. We’re so grateful for the support of our community at Rose Park and Holland Christian at large.
Homecoming 2019 Family Event
We love seeing as many of you possible back here on campus for our annual Homecoming Event, this year on Friday, September 13. It’s an all-ages community event, from high school students, elementary and preschool kids, young parents and grandparents, all gathering together to share a meal together, enjoy each others’ company, and then cheering the football team on. Just like before, the picnic dinner and children’s activities, including bouncy houses, lawn games and crafts, start at 5 pm, then the varsity football game against Unity Christian begins at 7 pm. Can’t get enough of the HC love? Tickets also include admission to the Varsity Volleyball game vs. Unity at 4:30. The cost is $8 per person in advance, including both dinner and game, and tickets are available online at hollandchristian.org/homecoming-tickets, or at the HCS administration office. Or it’s $10 per person on the day of the event. Note: Preschool & kindergarten families, look for an email from our Preschool Director on how you can join us for free as our way to welcome you to the HC community!
West Ottawa busing has begun.
- All cars use the east drive only, coming in off from Butternut, and using the entrance to the parking lot closest to the strip mall next door, and exiting using the drive closest to Rose Park. We have designed traffic flow to be one-way only in this fashion.
- Buses only are allowed to use the west drive. Again, no cars should use the west drive before and after school. If you are dropping off a middle or high schooler for the morning shuttle, please park and wait in the parking lot, or simply drop them off in the drive to wait for the bus.
- We have added 10 newly striped parking spots along the sidewalk of the west drive. These are for staff parking only to free up more spaces in the parking lot for parents.
A few after school carpool reminders:
- When your car is in the loading zone area – please turn on your hazard lights UNTIL you have all the children in your carpool, then turn lights off.
- If your child does not see you or has not come to your car, feel free to ask staff on duty to help your riders find their way to your car. Please stay inside of your car.
- Do not allow your children to come to your car if you are not yet in the loading area.
- Please use the carpool plan whenever possible. If you must come and get your children from the sidewalk, please park in the designated parking spots and walk in front of the loading zone area, not between cars that are waiting in the carpool lanes.
- For a more complete explanation of our carpool, parking lot, and driveway instructions, please click and read this document
Whether you are new or experienced at Rose Park, for your convenience, here is a link to our Elementary Handbook found on the HC website. Please refer to the handbook for general information, or with specific questions you may have about life at Rose Park.
Please report to us if your child(ren) is going to be absent. This needs to be done each day they will not be in school. Also, we would appreciate it if they were reported in by 8:45 AM, but you can call and leave a message anytime before that time. If you do not call us, and if the child’s teacher does not know about the absence, we will try to call you. (This policy is to protect your child–we want to ensure your child’s safe arrival at school
Hot Lunch Accounts
There are two ways to add funds to your child’s hot lunch account:
- You may drop off a check made out to Holland Christian to our Rose Park office and the funds will be added.
- Add funds on line through sendmoneytoschool.com (there is a small fee with this method)
You may also check the balance on your student’s lunch account:
- go to www.hollandchristian.org
- click on Schools, then Parent Resources.
- Click on the Hot Lunch Tab.
- On the right hand side is the link: sendmoneytoschool.com
- Set up a new account for your family. You will need your email address, and a password you would like to use.
- Your student’s ID number will be needed to link your child to your account. Please contact either our RP office for this number, or ask your child’s teacher.
- Please contact Carla or Diane in the RP office with any questions!
Hot Lunch Menu
Important To Do Today
It is imperative that you update your demographic information in PowerSchool now with your latest and most accurate contact information. Simply go in your browser to ps.hollandchristian.org, and, if you are a returning parent, log in with your personal log in and password. If you have difficulty, click the “If you are having trouble…” link to retrieve your log in information.
If you are a first-time parent, you should have received already an email with your student’s unique access ID and password. (If you have not seen this email, dated 8/9/18, please check your spam folder.) Then, create a login for yourself. Click the “demographic change” button on the left of the screen. This information is necessary for field trip participation, emergency response and treatment, student photo permission, and for the office to easily be able to contact a parent or guardian as needed or desired. When listing your child’s emergency contacts, please be sure to list two contacts other than yourself. Again, please do this today to ensure that your child’s teacher has the most accurate contact information for you. The teachers do a lot of communicating with parents especially at the start of the year, and we want to make sure that you receive all of this communication. Thank you!
Medical Information Reminder
Parents: if your child has a medical plan on file or takes meds at school, we need an updated form signed by their physician each school year. So, if you have not done this yet, please do so asap. You are welcome to contact our school nurse, Hendrina Cupery (email@example.com). She will help you set up a plan for the office to assist in administering the medication. For safety reasons, Holland Christian Schools is not able to dispense any medication (prescription or non-prescription) to our students without a doctor’s order. Thank you!
Have a few extra hours in your day?
Our elementary counselor, Mrs. DeeDee Throop is here every Tuesday all day and Friday mornings to assist with any personal or social situations that might arise with our students. She has 15 years of teaching experience and is starting her 18th year as a counselor. She loves our children and thinks of herself as a “cheerleader” for them. If you have questions or concerns about your child, please call, email, or drop in on a Tuesday or Thursday to see her. God bless you as you parent your precious children. firstname.lastname@example.org
We would love to have you join us for our All School chapels on Wednesday mornings at 10:35 AM in the elementary gym. We welcome parents and friends to join us in worship as we discover how we can grow in cultivating shalom.
For those of you really planning ahead, Rose Park’s picture days are Wednesday, September 18, and Thursday, September 19. More specific information and scheduling will come once we are underway through classroom and the Rose Park blogs.
Become a TTQ coach this upcoming season and help us recruit coaches within your community!
Great Reasons to Coach:
- Engage in healthy choices with your child/youth in your community
- Be part of a co-coaching partnership (2 coaches with 5-15 boys)
- A team of TTQ staff to support you throughout the season
- Run, Inspire, Challenge, Assist the TTQ boys in achieving their goals
- Season dates: Sept 9- Nov 9th (18 practices, and a final 5k event)
- Practices held 2 days per week for 90 minutes; practices start at the end of the school day, so time varies by school (can coach one day/week)
- Coaches can be any gender
- You do not need to be an experienced runner – just willing to be active and participate in physical activity during practices
- All materials and supplies are provided to you along with a thorough coach training
For more information or to become a coach, contact Kimber Wager at email@example.com or 231-670-9853
13- Homecoming Event
18 – Picture Day
19 – Picture Day
21 – Kids Stuff Resale
25 – Walkathon
27 – No School – Staff Development
3 – Grandparents’ day
22 – Parent/Teacher Conferences
24 – CEA – No School
25 – CEA- No School
1 – Preschool Dad’s night
27- 1/2 day
28-29 – Thanksgiving Break
KIDS STUFF RESALE
The Kids Stuff Resale will be on Saturday morning, September 21 from 9-12 at Holland Christian High School. For more information, please email kidsale@ hollandchristian.org or call 616 820-2805.